Parent Visa

Applicants of parent visas must be sponsored by thier children or spouses of thier childred who are legally settled Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen. From 2 June 2014, the lower cost “non-contributory” parent visa subclasses (804 and 103) were closed to new application and then reopened in October 2014, but it is not clear how long they will be open for. There is a 30 year waiting period on non-contributotry parent visas.

Parent visas are capped but there is more than 3 times the number of places for Contributory Parent Visa applicants than Parent Visa applicants, and Contributory Parent Visa have a higher processing priority. There are two categories for this class of visa Contributory and non-contributory Parent Visas.

There are two types of contributory parent visa:

(i) Contributory Parent Permanent (subclass 143):

This is a permanent visa which is generally processed within 18 months. Total cost for the application is over $40,000 per parent.

(ii) Contributory Parent 173 Temporary (subclass 173):

This is a 2-year temporary visa, applicants would generally look at applying for a permanent contributory parent visa within the 2-year validity of the 173 visa. The total cost of applying is approximately the same as a permanent contributory parent visa, but it is split over two visa applications.

 General Requirements

There are numerous visa criteria which must be satisfied before you may be granted a Parent Visa.

  • Age requirement

  • Eligible sponsor

  • Balance-of-family test

  • Assurance of Support

  • Health and character requirements

  • Sponsoring child must be an Australian Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident or Eligible New Zealand Citizen

Balance of Family Test

To pass this test the number of children, of the parent, who are lawfully and permanently residing in Australia or are eligible New Zealand citizens usually resident in Australia is:
(i) greater than, or equal to, the total number of children of the parent who are resident overseas; or
(ii) greater than the greatest number of children of the parent who are resident in any single overseas country.