An Australian education system categorizes its academic programs in intermediate level, graduate, post-graduate, doctoral, professional and vocational. Below is a list of student visa subclasses offered by Australian Immigration Department.
Candidates applying for a student visa would be assessed on different levels based on thier country of passprot. Generally there are three assessment levels with 1 being the least stringent and 3 the most. For higher levels of assessment a candidate is needed to furnish more supporting documents.
Genuine Temporary Entrant
GTE (GENUINE TEMPORARY ENTRANT) is determined by:
1. Immigration history of applicant
2. Potential circumstances of applicant after moving to Australia
3. Existing environment in applicant’s country of origin
4. Significance of study program undertaken for applicant
5. Any other relevant factors that might influence your Australian immigration
1. Offer of enrolment for a full-time course offered by an Australian education provider registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).
2. Must either be the current holder of a qualifying visa or have held a certain visa no more than 28 days prior to lodging your application if you are lodging an application onshore.
3. Your individual circumstances must demonstrate that you genuinely intend to stay in Australia temporarily and do not want to seek permanent residence.
4. Must have sufficient funds to pay for travel, tuition and living expenses for yourself, and your family unit, whether or not accopanying you to Australia.
5. Satisfy specified health and character requiremnts which may vary based on your personal circumstances, including your period of stay, country of citizenship, time spent in another country during the last five years and your intended activities in Australia.
6. Must obtain Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) which provides medical and hospital insurance.
7. Your education provider has to accept that you have entry level English language proficiency for your proposed course of study.
8. You must not have any outstanding debts to the Commonwealth of Australia.
Student Visa Subclasses
Student Visas has been simplified to only one subclass that is Subclass 500
8202 You must maintain enrolment in a registered course, and meet the course academic requirements.
8533 You must notify your education provider or your address in Australia, any change of address or any change of education provider.
8105 Once you begin your course of study you can work for up to 40 hours each fortnight during semester. No work limits apply during recognised periods of vacation offered by your education provider.
8104 Members of your family unit can work 40 hours per fortnight throughout the year, for the duration of their visa.
The following conditions may apply in some circumstances:
8534 This is a ‘no further stay’ condition. This means that after entering Australia you will not be entitled to be granted any other visa while you remain in Australia (apart from a Graduate-Skilled Visa, or a protection visa).
8535 If you are sponsored by the Commonwealth of Australia or the government of your home country, you may be subject to a ‘no further stay’ condition.
Also note that you can’t downgrade or change to course which is below your current AQF level on which you have granted visas. If you still want to move, you need to lodge a new visa application to eligible for new AQF Level*