The Australian government has recently announced three new permanent visas to bring more skilled workers to their country.
The recent addition Subclass 494 visa; Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional) is functional since November 16, 2019, that has overruled Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme Visa (Subclass 187).
The perks of the visa include:
- A chance to live, work and study in Australia for 5 years
- Liberty to work in any designated regional areas of Australia
- Chance to travel to and from Australia as much as you want until the visa is valid
- Applicable to apply for permanent residence through Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional) Subclass 191 visa in 2022 after 3 years
- The applicant must be nominated by an employer to work.
- The applicant must have a relevant occupation that is enlisted in the Australian Skilled Occupation List.
- Applicant must have at least 3 years of work experience in the nominated occupation.
- Nomination lodged by the employer must be approved by an Approved Work Sponsor.
- The applicant must satisfy Public Interest Criteria as well as Special Return Criteria.
- Applicant will be allowed to work for the sponsor or associated entity only unless an exemption is applied.
- The applicant must be under 45 years of age and meet minimum standards of English language proficiency.
- Applicant must meet the character and health requirements set by the Australian government.
Visa Streams under Subclass 494
There are two different visa streams that fall under Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional) Subclass 494 visa.
Employer Sponsor Stream
Through the Employer Sponsor Stream visa, the regional employer has to address the identified labour shortages within their region of operation. The employer has to justify why they are unable to appoint a skilled Australian worker in the first place.
The applicant coming to Australia through Employer Sponsor Stream is allowed to live, work and study in Australia in the designated region only. He can also apply for permanent residency (Subclass 191) after 3 years.
Labour Agreement Stream
The Labour Agreement Stream is for the skilled workers who are nominated by the employers. This stream is developed between the Australian Government and the employers only.
The applicant coming through this visa to Australia has indirectly agreed to Australian rules and regulations of labour. The nominating employer has to have a genuine Labour Agreement with the government of Australia for any sponsorship.
How Long the Stay Can Be?
Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional) Subclass 494 is a temporary visa. The visa holder is allowed to live in Australia for 5 years only. The applicant can apply for a Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional) Subclass 191 visa in 2022.
Inclusion of the Family
The family members of the applicant can be included in the visa application process. They must be included when submitting the visa application. This visa allows the applicant to add their dependent child in the visa application even after submitting it.
All the family members who are applying for the Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional) Subclass 494 visa with the applicant must meet the health and character requirements set by the government of Australia. If the applicant’s spouse or dependents are not included in the application, proper justification is required. Such as they already hold Australian citizenship or permanent visa status etc.
Cost for Subclass 494 Visa Processing
The processing cost for the Subclass 494 visa for the main applicant is AUD 4,045. AUD 2,025 for each dependent of 18 years of over and AUD 1,010 for each dependent under 18 years.
Extra charges of AUD 4,890 will be applied when any applicant who is 18 years old or above and has less functional English. Additional charges will incur when health checks, police certification and biometric verification will be required.
Visa Processing Time
The visa processing time depends on various factors such as:
- A complete application was lodged or not along with all necessary documentation
- Upon request of additional information, how quickly the applicant responds
- Delay may occur in gathering information from external agencies for health and character certification and national security requirements
- How many spots are available in the migration program
You can find many migration consultants who can easily guide you through the process of applying for Visa 494. We at Think Higher Consultant are registered education agents in Australia who can guide you easily regarding study in Australia as well as migration to Australia.