The Skilled Regional Visa Subclass 491 is a skilled worker visa that allows workers along with their families to live, work and study in Australia with ease. This visa replaced Visa 489 on 16 November 2019. We shall explain how to approach 491 visa.
Remember, Skilled Regional Visa Subclass 491 is a temporary visa that may lead to permanent residency status later on. This visa is not employer-sponsored at all. For this visa, it requires a commitment to living in a designated regional area of Australia while working and serving in the same region.
The Visa Application Process
Five easy steps have to be followed in order to approach 491 visa. This is a pathway to Australia, allowing international students to study in Australia or work in the designated region without any concern.
Step 1 – Checking the Eligibility
Before applying for Visa 491, it is crucial to know the requirements of the visa. It includes:
- Candidate must possess a Positive Skill Assessment for the occupation available in the State or Regional list
- The age should be in between 18 to 45 years only
- Candidate must have competent English with a minimum of 6 bands in IELTS or other English proficiency tests
- A nomination from Region or State must be there with the candidate to apply for Visa 491
- Must meet with the health and character requirements of Australia
- Candidate must meet the pass mark in the Skilled Migration Points Test i.e. at least 65 marks
Step 2 – Submission of EOI
Just like any General Skilled Migration visa, the Skilled Regional Visa Subclass 491 has point-based assessments. The Expression of Interest (EOI) is required to be submitted through the SkillSelect process, where at least 65 marks must be obtained. The standard on which EOI receives points include:
- Age criteria of the candidate
- Level of qualification of the candidate
- English proficiency level
- Previous work experiences
- Marital status of the candidate
- Regional or State nomination
There are other more requirements for the EOI. The higher the points, the higher the chances to qualify for Visa 491. Remember, if the candidate has a Regional nomination, they will receive 15 additional points.
Step 3 – Receiving Nomination
To receive Visa 491, it is essential to have a Regional or State nomination. While filling the Expression of Interest, the candidate has to state if they intend to work in any state or the regional areas. Professions that are listed in the State or Regional Occupation List will be considered only.
Since every state or region has different requirements for the nomination, therefore, some of the States and Regions will ask the candidate to lodge a separate application. This has to be submitted after filling EOI. This is not eligible for every nomination. Study abroad in Australia has liked with this mostly.
Step 4 – Wait for the Invitation
Once the State or Region Nomination Application has been submitted, the candidate is expected to wait around 2 to 8 weeks to receive an invitation to apply for the Visa 491.
Step 5 – Applying for the Visa
Once the candidate has received the invitation to apply for the visa, he would be able to lodge the visa processing application through their registered immigration agent in Australia. Within 60 days the candidate has to apply for the visa. The visa application fee is only AUD 4,045.
This is the simplified visa application process. But if you are looking for further guidance regarding the Skilled Regional Visa Subclass 491, don’t hesitate to reach out to us.