The Australian government has recently announced three new permanent visas to bring more skilled workers to their country.
The Subclass 491 visa; Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) is functional since November 16, 2019 that has overruled Skilled Regional (Provisional) Subclass 489 visa.
Perks of Subclass 491 Visa
The perks of the visa include:
- A chance to stay for 5 years in Australia
- Live, study and work in designated regional areas of Australia only
- Chance to travel to and from Australia as much as you want until the visa is valid
- Applicable to apply for permanent residence through Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional) Subclass 191 visa in 2022
- Sponsorship from an eligible relative (family member)
- Applicant must be nominated by the State or Territory government
- The applicant must have a relevant occupation that is enlisted in the Australian Skilled Occupation List
- Enough skillsets for the occupation
- Must meet the minimum point score to apply for a visa
- Applicant must meet the character and health requirements set by the Australian government
Difference between Subclass 489 and Subclass 491
Since November 16, 2019, no one is allowed to apply for an Australian skilled visa under the Subclass 489 visa. Subclass 491 has replaced Subclass 489 visa. The main changes include:
- Subclass 491 visa holder has to live and work in the designated Australian region for 3 years before applying for permanent residency under Subclass 191. Previously it was only 2 years.
- Under Subclass 489 visa the validity of the visa was 4 years now under Subclass 491 visa it is 5 years.
- 500 new occupations are eligible under Subclass 491 visa before limited occupations were listed under Subclass 489 visa.
Australian metropolis areas such as Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth and Gold Coast are not part of designated Australian regions but new areas are included such as Wollongong, Newcastle and NSW Central Coast.
How Long the Stay Can Be?
Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) Subclass 491 is a temporary visa. The visa holder is allowed to live in Australia for 5 years only. The applicant can apply for a Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional) Subclass 191 visa in 2022.
Inclusion of the Family
The family members of the applicant can be included in the visa application process. They must be included when submitting the visa application. This visa allows the applicant to add their dependent child to the visa application even after submitting it.
All the family members who are applying for the Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) Subclass 491 visa with the applicant must meet the health and character requirements set by the government of Australia.
If the applicant’s spouse or dependents are not included in the application, proper justification is required. Such as they already hold Australian citizenship or permanent visa status etc.
Cost for Subclass 491 Visa Processing
The processing cost for the Subclass 491 visa for the main applicant is AUD 4,045. Each family member applying with the main applicant also has to bear some changes.
Extra charges will be applied when any applicant who is 18 years old or above and has less functional English. Additional charges will incur when health checks, police certification and biometric verification will be required.
Visa Processing Time
The visa processing time depends on various factors such as:
- A complete application was lodged or not along with all necessary documentation
- Upon request of additional information, how quickly the applicant responds
- Delay may occur in gathering information from external agencies for health and character certification and national security requirements
- How many spots are available in the migration program
You can find many migration consultants who can easily guide you through the process of applying for Visa 491. We at Think Higher Consultant are registered education agents in Australia who can guide you easily regarding study in Australia as well as migration to Australia.