189 visa is a point-based visa for skilled workers not sponsored by any employer, state or territory, or a family member. With a Skilled visa subclass 189, the applicant can work permanently anywhere in Australia. 189 visa is a permanent visa that allows applicants to stay in Australia as much as they want with full working rights.
You have to make sure that your occupation is listed on the skilled occupation list, and have 65 points on the point-based system you might get eligible for visa 189 for Skilled Independent Visa. The Applicant must submit an expression of interest in SkillSelect. You can apply for a visa in or outside of Australia.
The 189 visa is a point-based visa, You have to make sure that the higher points you get the better your chances will get for a successful application process. You must have to accomplish a minimum of 65 points to get the invitation for a 189 visa. You have to submit an expression of interest in SkillSelect to get your estimate points.
Once An applicant gets an invitation after a skill assessment Company that invited the applicant will communicate the points required to assess the application. While preparing your application you have to make sure you have adequate evidence to support the claims of the experience on the occupation you have provided for the visa. If you want to calculate your points, we have a 189 visa point calculator you can use.
The Requirement for 189 Visa
To apply for a 189 visa you must have to fulfil the requirement mentioned below:
- Lodge an EOI and wait for getting Invite
- Complete Skills Assessment on the relevant Skilled Occupations List
- You must meet the minimum point score which is 65 for now.
- Be aged between 18 and 49 inclusive
- Have Competent English Language Proficiency (6 bands in IELTS each module) or higher
- Meet health and character requirements
- The applicant can be in Australia or overseas when applying for a Subclass 189 Visa.
- You must have a bridging visa if you are applying for a 186 visa from within Australia.
- Applicants can include their dependent family members with their application.
- The applicant can include his/her partner and dependent children with their application
Application Process for 189 Visa
Step 1: Check if your Skill is on the Skilled Occupation Lists.
This is only open to applicants who will fill a position with this list.
Step 2: Be sure you meet all the eligibility conditions.
The applicant must have to meet the following prerequisites to Be Able to employ:
- Must be under 45 years of age
- Basic English skills
- Must Meet the Health requirements
- Must Meet the character requirements
- The applicant does not have any remaining debts to the Australian government
Step 3: Complete Skills Assessment.
You have to complete a Skills Assessment and get a suitable score to be qualified for the Subclass 189 visa. Your score needs to fulfil that specified in your letter of invitation
Step 4: Submit an Expression of Interest
After completing the skill assessment, you have to submit an expression of interest through SkillSelect. The SkillSelect program will ask you numerous queries related to your background, skills, and relevant history of your employment. Your EOI will be observed by the Australian government Authorities as well as accessible to Australian companies who may be on the lookout for a person of your skill-set to employ.
Step 5: Find a Sponsor.
As soon as you locate a suitable sponsor, they can send you a letter of invitation to apply for the visa.
If you do not have an eligible relative or company to sponsor you, then you might be able to detect an employer through the SkillSelect program. This system matches skilled workers with companies searching to get foreign-national workers. A country or territory government may also direct you by utilizing this program.
Step 6: Have your sponsor complete the necessary paperwork
As soon as you find a host, you’ll need to have them nominate you to get your visa. You can often apply for this visa at the same time your sponsor lodges their software.
Employers can complete the company nomination application on the net through the DHA.
Step 7: Apply for the Skilled Independent Work Visa.
When you locate an employer and find a nomination, then you may apply for your 189 visa on the internet through the DHA.
Step 8: Wait for a Decision
It can take several months for the DHA to produce a determination on your Visa application. In 2016 the processing period for the 189 visa was 3 months.
Step 9: Receive your visa and start working
Once your application is accepted, you will get your visa and will start work in Australia.
189 Visa Processing Time
According to the department of home affairs, each application will be assessed on a case-by-case basis. Therefore, there is no actual processing time allotted to 189 visa application processing. The processing time will vary on some factors including:
- Whether your application is complete including required documents.
- how quickly you respond to additional information requests by Home Affairs
- The time to perform required checks on the supporting information
- The time to receive additional information from external sources, Mainly health, character, and national security requirements
- how many places are available in the migration program
See our 189 points calculator.