The student guardian visa is for those parents or legal guardians of international students who are willing to go to Australia for study purposes. The 590 visa allows the legal guardians, parents, or person to stay in Australia on a temporary basis for the purpose of providing care and financially support the child who is under 18 years of age.
Student Guardian visa is a temporary visa that allows the guardian to stay in Australia for the same duration as the student. However, a subclass 590 visa allows the guardian to study in Australia for three weeks or 20 hours per week in an English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS) or other courses, but the guardian is not supposed to join any work in Australia.
The guardian visa only is applicable if the student is not at adult age 18 years, or some other circumstances such as: the student has a disability, physical health condition, or a mental health condition which make them eligible to apply for the guardian.
The applicant has to fulfil the necessary requirements for lodging the application as a guardian of an international student younger than 18 years old, there are some basic requirements based on where your application is lodging from.
If you are applying while you are In Australia you must hold a current substantive visa. The visa must not be in the list below:
- Domestic Worker (Temporary) Diplomatic and Consular visa (subclass 426)
- Temporary Work (International Relations) visa (subclass 403) in the Domestic Worker (Diplomatic or consular) stream
- Diplomatic (Temporary) visa (subclass 995) – primary visa holder only. A family member of a Diplomatic (Temporary) visa (subclass 995) can apply for a student visa in Australia
- Transit visa (subclass 771)
- Visitor visa (subclass 600) in the Sponsored Family stream or in the Approved Destination Status stream
If your visa is not listed on the list above then you might be eligible for the application, but you must fulfill the basic requirement which is:
- Applicants must have custody of taking care of the student.
- Applicant must be of the age of 21 years or older
- The applicant has nominated by written application by parents
- Not bring the child below 6 years of age
- Able to provide accommodation and other support to the student such as general welfare. (not applicable if you are applying with the support of the government of your home country)
Eligibility Criteria For 590 Visa
To be eligible for a 500 visa the applicant must fulfil the criteria before lodging the application for a student guardian visa, you have to meet some guidelines and meet the instructions to successfully receive the visa. To be eligible you must meet:
- Genuine Temporary Entrant Requirement:
The applicant has to provide certain evidence to migrate in Australia as a guardian such as: the personal condition in your home country, immigration history, proof of assets, potential circumstances in Australia, and other required evidence which associates your plan to migrate.
- Basic Requirements:
The applicant of the student guardian visa must be the parents, legal guardian assigned by parents in writing, or relative assigned by parents in writing. If a relative is not nominated by parents then you might not be assigned as a legal guardian. Family members under the age of 6 years old are not allowed except in certain circumstances.
- Health Insurance:
The applicant is required to prove Health insurance for the duration they are planning to stay in Australia. You can get health insurance from the Australian Organization.
- Funds Accessibility:
While applying for the visa, you have to show the funds in your application that you are able to financially support the accommodation and the study fees, you have to prove that funds will be available when you need them. It should be from acceptable sources such as: Scholarships, Sponsors, Government loans, or other financial institutes.
- Personal and Relationship Document:
The applicant has to submit all personal documents such as: birth certificate, national identity card, current passport, photos, and personal details. You also have to include a relationship document if you are married or any legal relation which requires documents.
- Other Conditions For student guardian visa subclass 590:
- The applicant is not allowed to work
- The applicant is not allowed to bring family members
- If an applicant is a guardian of more than one students the applicant has to choose one student to link his visa to and must inform the department of home affairs
- The applicant is not allowed to seek employment
- If an applicant leave Australia when the linked student requires help will impose a penalty on the applicant
Required Documents for 590 Visa
By the time of lodging your application you have to provide some required documents, we have mentioned a checklist of your required documents below:
- You need your financial documents
- You have to provide proof that you have access to these funds
- Proof of your annual income options.
- You are required to provide health insurance documents.
- Your personal identity and relationship documents
- Genuine temporary entrant requirement.