The Training Visa (Subclass 407 visa) allows the applicants to stay in Australia for a short time to take place in professional training, or workplace-based occupational training in Australia. This visa allows applicants for training in Australia to meet licensing requirements, or occupational registrations to enhance their skills in their field of expertise.
Training visa is valid for up to 2 years to stay in Australia. However, The 407 visa forbids the applicant to work in Australia other than sponsor work provided by the sponsoring employer or the training specified in the visa application. You have to apply for this visa online, either in Australia or outside Australia. The applicant can have their family member with them by applying for subsequent entry by the time of lodging his/her application.
The process to apply for the visa is quite similar to the 482 visa. However, the training visa is not designed to fill the labour shortage in Australia, This means if your sole intention is to find work in Australia this might not be the best choice for you. The training visa allows you to participate in occupational training, However, If you are planning to work visa you should consider General Skilled Migration Visa.
Before applying for the training visa you must have to nominated by an eligible sponsor company to sponsor you on their training program, The application process have three stages to apply for a 407 visa; Sponsorship, Nomination, and visa application.
There are three types of nomination covered by 407 visa, The applicant can apply in any of one between three nominations according to sponsor requirement or preferences:
Required For Registration:
Workplace-based training is required to get occupational membership, registration, or licensing. Registration, membership, or licensing is mandatory to work in that occupation in Australia or your home country.
Occupational Training to improve skills is a workplace-based structured training program that involves a nominee who has recent and suitable prior experience. This can include employment experience or study experience of at least 12 months in the field of expertise comes on the list of eligible skilled occupations
Capacity Building Overseas:
Occupational training for capacity building overseas for applicants who require training as part of their overseas study for students who are currently enrolled in a foreign educational institution or who are supported by an Australian or overseas government organization nominated person’s home country, or for a professional program of face-to-face teaching in a classroom or similar environment or management-level employees of an overseas organization.
Eligibility Criteria for 407 Visa
Before lodging your application, the applicant must check that he/she is fulfilling the basic requirements for the application. the requirements of the applicant and sponsor are different. Although, the best practice is to confirm the sponsor is legitimate before applying.
Eligibility Criteria for the Applicant:
The eligible criteria for all three streams are nearly the same, the main difference in all three streams is the duration of staying in Australia, skill requirements, and the cost of application. The other eligibility criteria for any stream is:
- Applicant must be nominated by a recognized Australian company if it is not a Commonwealth agency.
- Applicant must be invited by the Commonwealth agency for the visa.
- Applicant must have a genuine intention to stay in Australia for a temporary duration.
- Applicant should be over 18 years old unless exempt
- Must fulfil the health and character requirements.
- The applicant has to meet the other additional requirement or conditions which should be applicable to lodge your visa application
- Fulfil the individual specific requirement of all three individual streams.
- Applicant should prove the English Language Proficiency Requirements.
- Applicant must submit valid proof of financial backup funds evidence
- The applicant has to provide evidence of health insurance for themself and other family members
Eligibility Requirement For Sponsors:
If you are an employer with a legitimate business and requires a trainee worker for the position in your company, you might be able to sponsor the overseas trainees for training visa, However, you have to meet the requirement below before sponsoring the employee.
- be either an organization operating lawfully in Australia, a government agency or a foreign government agency
- provide the occupational training directly unless an exemption applies
- have no unfavourable information identified about you or any other person associated with you unless it is reasoned for the Immigration Department to ignore
- have the ability to comply with all the sponsorship obligations
Eligibility Criteria For Nominating Employers:
For the nominating sponsor employers:
- You must be an approved temporary activity sponsor.
- The trainee must be eligible in the skilled occupation list.
- You have lodged an application to become an approved temporary activity sponsor
Processing Time and Cost of 407 Training Visa
The processing time for the training visa 407 is around 5 months for 75% of applicants, and 11 months for 90 % of applicants. However, the application might take longer if:
- you do not fill the application correctly
- you do not include all the documents required or additional information required by Home affairs
- The Department of Home Affairs Might have to verify your information
Moreover, The cost of processing your application is 310 AUD$ for the main applicant, You might have to pay more if you have subsequent applications. You might also have to pay the health requirement costs and biometric charges.