What is a Skilled Independent Visa?
The Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 189) is a point-based visa for skilled workers who are not sponsored by an employer, state or territory, or family member. With this visa, the applicant can work permanently anywhere in Australia and stay in the country as long as they desire with full working rights. To be eligible for this visa, the applicant’s occupation must be listed on the skilled occupation list and they must score at least 65 points on the point-based system. To apply for the 189 visa, the applicant must submit an expression of interest through SkillSelect. This can be done both inside or outside of Australia. Once the expression of interest is submitted, the applicant will be notified if they have been invited to apply for the visa. To prepare for the application, the applicant must ensure that they have adequate evidence to support the claims of experience in the occupation listed on the visa application and can use the 189 visa point calculator to determine their estimated points. It’s important to note that the invitation to apply is not a guarantee of the visa grant.
Requirements for Subclass 189 Visa
Ensure that you are under 45 years of age
Possess basic English language skills
Meet all health requirements
Meet all character requirements
Do not have any outstanding debts to the Australian government as an applicant.
The processing time for the Subclass 189 visa application varies as each application will be evaluated individually, according to the Department of Home Affairs. Factors that may affect processing time includes, but not limited to:
- The completeness of your application and the presence of all required documents.
- Your promptness in responding to any requests for additional information from Home Affairs.
- The time required to verify the supporting information.
- The time it takes to receive additional information from external sources, such as health, character, and national security checks.
- The number of available spots in the migration program.